Friday, January 2, 2009

INVINCIBLE MIND by Arati Katre




Its not every day that we come across books like this one and frankly speaking I am not a person who would pick up a hand book of good thoughts and ways to live.
In fact I picked this book because I wanted to read the experiences of the writer as the author is somebody with a lot of experience in the field I have just stepped in.
Nevertheless this book has actually defined the literal meaning of the saying "Don’t judge a book by its cover”
To begin with yes, it is a book which is a must for all youngster's study table as the author herself mentions in the preface but I think this book is equally useful to people of all ages .As all of us at some point in life have experienced rejection, dejection and consequently depression .That is when a book like ‘Invincible Mind’ comes to your rescue.Off course just reading a book of sermons does not solve the issues and at the end of the day as the author herself says “ work ,work, work – let this be your motto
The best chapter which appealed to me the most was “Live alone in your mind”.
This is something which I personally believe strongly in and still have not been able to develop this virtue in my character. This is especially necessary to be developed by women .In today’s day to day life when working woman keep juggling between home and work there are numerous people who try to influence the decisions taken by her according to their advantage. I like the way the author emphasises in simple language why and how to inculcate this habit.
Concluding I would like to say ,read this book first to check out how many of the qualities mentioned by the author is a part of your character and how many you have to still work on building .
Secondly somewhere down the line one tends to start doubting weather the habits one has still holds true and valuable in these changing times where it is very easy to get distracted from the right path .So read the book to reaffirm you faith and confidence in the good human being hidden inside you.
The only thing I feel which could have made the book a little more interesting and inviting would have been real life experiences (not only of the author but also of those people who she came across in her long career)amalgamated with the morals learnt at the end of the day.

Thank you, Arati madam for gifting me this book.

1 comment:

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

Hi Vineeta

I am so motivated by this write up of yours that I simply want to grab a copy and start reading this to identify my characters in the book. I too loved that phrase... Live alone in your mind....I have seen arati in person too and she is always so composed and cheerful...will write to you after I read this book....waiting for my copy....